3.23.2013

Craftcation Day 1

craftcation, craft, pollyannacowgirl, firefly express, ventura,
photo by Cathe Holden of Just Something I Made
Craftcation! Craftcation! The most wonderful time of the year! I was so ready for a blast of inspiration and information, and now that I'm here, I'm getting both in spades.

craftcation, pollyannacowgirl, jenny smith plush artist, jenny smith, plush, craft conference, ventura, firefly express
Plush artist Jenny Smith with some soft amigos.
I really wanted to make it to Thursday's SLR camera workshop; I am lucky enough to be long-term borrowing a Canon Digital Rebel right now, but am totally not using it to its full potential (i.e. I have no idea how to use it). Chris & Jenn, a powerhouse married photography team, gave a super-simple presentation that was perfect for the basics I need to know. It was so helpful that I literally dreamed about camera settings!

craftcation, pollyannacowgirl, needle felting, needlefelting, felt, wool, craft conference, ventura, firefly express

Then I hit the advanced needle felting workshop with Angharad Jones, where she taught beginners how to make felted balls and pros how to create sculptures with limbs! I was lazy and made another matryoshka, but my bud Becky made this sweet cat in Lakers purple for her bf.

craftcation, pollyannacowgirl, polly conway, craft conference, ventura, firefly express

Then we ate all the foods! I don't give a damn about gluten-free stuff, but those s'mores were off the hook. During dinner, Kathy Cano-Murillo gave an incredible keynote speech. We all know I'm a black-hearted cynic, but I was so touched by her sincere words. It's often very hard for me to feel good about myself as a creative person. The thing about Kathy is, at the heart of all her success, she just makes stuff. And keeps making stuff. And I think that's really the key to this whole venture.

craftcation, pollyannacowgirl, polly conway, craft conference, ventura, firefly express

Attendees got to write their goals for 2013 on these paint chips!

craftcation, pollyannacowgirl, polly conway, craft conference, ventura, firefly express

There's a reading lounge and pop-up shop featuring goods from Superbuzzy!

craftcation, pollyannacowgirl, polly conway, craft conference, ventura, firefly express

Quotes like this are posted all over the hotel. Sometimes I'm an old crankypants about inspirational quotes but this time, it's working for me. Maybe because I'm feeling better, they're easier for me to believe.

5 comments:

Jenny Barnett Rohrs said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. And don't be a cranky pants- you're prettiest when you smile. : ) !

Cathe Holden said...

It's always SO exciting to run into you at these fun events! (You just walked by the lounge to take a dip in the pool.) Where will we meet next?!

miriamdema said...

I think you blogged while I was out enjoying more Manhattans with crafty ladies! Also, how the heck did we not know each other when I lived in Oakland?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Awesome needle felted doll! I'd really like to get into it. Any advice on how to start?